the cutest blog on the block

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Chicken Spaghetti - An Arkansas Tradition

I know other people eat chicken spaghetti, but Arkansans are especially serious about it.  I grew up eating chicken spaghetti at my house and all of my friends' houses.  All of our mom's recipes are a little different, but all wonderful in their own way.  When I went off to college, I was ecstatic to hear that our sorority house served up chicken spaghetti!  It was good stuff, too!  Right after we got married, I started cooking chicken spaghetti for David and haven't let up since.  We probably have it at least once a month.  Anna Claire is not a big supper eater, but she eats up some chicken spaghetti.  William loves it, too!  I have a few different recipes for it, including my mom's and Peg's (Meredith's mom).  My mom's is a little creamier and Peg's is a little spicier.  Just depends on what I'm in the mood for. 

Mom's Chicken Spaghetti
4 large chicken breasts, cooked and cut up
16 oz. package thin spaghetti ( I use whole wheat)
chopped onion
chopped celery
1 stick butter/margarine
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can tomato soup
1 t. red pepper
1 t. pepper
salt to taste

Brown onions and celery in butter.  Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.  Add soups, pepper and salt to onions and celery mixture.  Simmer a few minutes, then add chicken and spaghetti and simmer 10 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes.  Might want to cover it with foil and just remove the foil for the last 10 minutes.


Peg's Spicy Chicken Spaghetti

4 large chicken breasts, cooked and cut up
16 oz. spaghetti
1 can Rotel
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can tomato soup
1 can chicken broth
Chopped onion, bell pepper & celery ( I use seasoning blend, about 1 cup of it)
1 T. worchestchire
1 t. tobasco
1t. chili powder
shredded cheese (Memes says it's best with Velveeta shreds)

Saute onion blend.  Add soups, rotel, broth, spices and simmer.  Cook spaghetti.  Add everything together and mix.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.  Again, you might want to cover with foil for part of the time to keep the top from being too crunchy.  Peg adds black olives sometimes, but you'll never catch me with those in mine!

 I usually split mine into two casserole dishes and freeze one for an easy weeknight meal. 

 Ready to eat!  I didn't cover mine this time so the top noodles were a little crunchy, but still good.  This weekend I made Peg's version. 

No comments:

Post a Comment